Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Here we are again... Learn 2.5

I tried Second Life about 4 years ago. I explored a bit but it definitely isn't my type of game. The more I read about SL and libraries, though, the more I get interested. I've been thinking about joining again, just to see exactly what libraries can offer through the game. My first impression of SL was that it was taking away from the daily social interactions between people. You can pretty much do everything. Buy a computer, attend classes, work... all through an online game. It's interesting and scary all at the same time.

I have also heard rumors that the reference questions that libraries get in Second Life refer mostly to the virtual world itself. I can see how having a library in SL benefits it's citizens. They have a place to go to if they need help with answering any questions they may have, or to find research for a paper they must write, exc. Just like we have a place to go to in RL (that's MMO speak for 'real life,' haha). The more technology that comes out, the more we sit at home on our computers and in front of our televisions. Why not have a library that can reach everybody, instead of just one community?

No comments: